The Borough of East Stroudsburg was created by an Act of the Pennsylvania State Legislature and incorporated as a Borough in 1870. Our municipality includes an area of approximately 2.5 square miles and a resident population of over 10,000.
East Stroudsburg Borough originally was the industrial center of Monroe County due to the railroad. Now it is home to the two largest service institutions in the county, East Stroudsburg University and the Pocono Medical Center.
East Stroudsburg Borough Council is accepting letters of interest from any registered elector of the Sixth Ward of the Borough who wants to be considered for appointment to fill the vacancy on Borough Council, representing the Sixth Ward. The person appointed must have been a resident of the Sixth Ward for one year, and will serve a term of office through the end of the 2015 year. Please respond by 2:00 p.m. January 21, 2014, or contact the Borough Office at 421-8300 for more information.
The Borough operates under the provisions of the Borough Code of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Borough Council(the legislative branch of the local government) is made up of six (6) members, who are elected by wards. The administrative branch of the Borough government is directed by a professional administrator (Borough Manager) appointed by Council. The elected Mayor serves as the official “Head of State”. A separately elected Tax Collector is responsible for collecting borough and county real estate taxes.
The Borough is evaluating the number of constructive comments received at the December 19th meeting regarding the Rental Housing Licensing and Inspection Program, and making revisions where appropriate. As a result, there will not be a Public Hearing to consider adoption of the Ordinance at the January 15, 2013 Borough Council meeting. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact the Borough Office.
Click on the following links for more information about the
East Stroudsburg Borough: